When the Encyclopaedia Gallifreya ‘leaks’ and we hear knowledge ebbing from its container, you might just be able to catch the familiar voice of Timothy Dalton – in other words, Rassilon himself from The End of Time.
Immediately after Bram tries to dismantle the TARDIS console we hear an audio mosaic of lines from previous episodes– some more clearly than others… We initially catch the Doctor’s granddaughter, Susan, from An Unearthly Child, revealing how the initials of TARDIS stand for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. Also from that story, towards the end of the sequence, you can hear one of the people she was addressing – Ian Chesterton – expressing his astonishment at the nature of the ship! The clips from that scene are taken from:
• An Unearthly Child, episode 1. (see above)
• The Robots of Death, episode 1. The Fourth Doctor discusses trans-dimensional engineering with Leela.
• The Doctor’s Wife. The TARDIS asks if ‘sexy thing’ is her name!
• Rose. The Ninth Doctor assures Rose that the assembled hordes of Genghis Khan couldn’t get through ‘that door’.
• Smith and Jones. Martha Jones struggles to understand the TARDIS.
For more details on this weekend’s episode check out the Fourth Dimension post from the BBC Doctor Who site.