A short journey from Doctor Who’s studios in Cardiff, is the town of Barry — home not only to Stacey from Gavin & Stacey, but also Rubbertoe Replicas, producers of collectible replica props from Doctor Who.
The Doctor Who team went to visit their workshop, and chatted to designer and craftsman Nick Robatto, who showed us a few tricks of the trade.
Check out Nick’s creations at http://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/
From the website:
For Doctor Who collectors who demand absolute authenticity, QMx is proud to offer a very limited edition of River Song’s Sonic Screwdriver, as part of the QMx Artisan Master Series.
This special edition of the Sonic Screwdriver has been handmade for QMx by Doctor Who Prop Maker Nick Robatto, who is based in Cardiff, Wales. Like the prop seen on-screen, this sonic screwdriver lights up at the tip. And behind a removable cover there’s the neural relay which flashes to indicate the life force left in River Song.
Each River Song’s Sonic Screwdriver - Artisan Master Series:
- Is made entirely by hand by Mr. Robatto himself. Most of the parts were machined by hand — none were CNC’d; it is constructed exactly like the screen-used hero prop.
- Consists of approximately 70 components, most of them made of aluminum, brass, resin, nylon and polymethyl methacrylate.
- Features a crackle paint similar to that used on the 10th’s Doctor’s Sonic. However, the crackle is a bit larger and the color deeper and darker to reflect the age of River Song’s Sonic.
- Takes two weeks to assemble.
- Contains no found objects, with the exception of screws and electronic components. All other parts are handmade.
- Measures about 6.89 inches (175 mm) long.