Your fellow Whovians have a message for you.
The line to get into the 1pm Doctor Who panel began outside Hall H around 8pm the night before. If you wanted to get a place in the 6500 seat auditorium, you had to get there early, very early. By the time the panel was about to begin, this audience was so excited they started clapping out the rhythm of the Master’s drums and once Moffat and the cast got on stage there was an extremely loud standing ovation.
The panel was producers Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner, as well as the Doctor (Matt Smith) and the Ponds (Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill.)
It’s well known that Amy and Rory Pond will be leaving the show in a meeting with the Weeping Angels half way through this season, so in a way this was a Comic Con good-bye to them. They showed the extremely moving clip from “The Girl Who Waited” where Amy is telling Rory why he needs to leave her while she is outside the TARDIS and he is inside. I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Karen spoke of her leaving the show and said she cried for two weeks straight after she left. But don’t worry you’ll see more of both her and Arthur as they have many projects coming up. The most exciting for Who fans is probably “Broadchurch” in which Arthur will be working with David Tennant. It is also written by Who writer, Chris Chibnall.
They all spoke a lot about how one of the main themes of Doctor Who is the idea of regeneration and change. That it’s about learning to love characters and learning that we have to let them go.…
A few things I learned at this panel:Moffat promises lots of variety in the upcoming series. Westerns, tragedy, Weeping Angels, dinosaurs, Daleks, lots and lots of Daleks.
1. When Matt started the show he was given a handbook describing all the various areas of the TARDIS, what they were for, and what all the buttons and levers are for. How much do you want to own this handbook?
2. Only Moffat knows what the Doctor’s name is and why we can’t know it. He will not tell us why.
3. Moffat won’t say if he is planning on an episode with multiple Doctors or not.
4. Moffat said of River Song, “You can’t trust that woman.”
5. The alliance of evil that got together at the Pandorica will not reconvene, according to Moffat.
6. Both Karen and Matt’s favorite guest character on the show was Vincent van Gogh (can you blame them?) Karen and Arthur’s favorite costumes were the Kiss-a-Gram and Centurion respectively (again, duh!)
7. Karen is an amazing bowler even though she has never bowled before this week and has terrible form that involves yelping when she releases the ball.
8. All the cast members have taken souvenirs from the TARDIS. David Tennant kept his sonic screwdriver.
For the second year running, there was a Whovian Sunday at San Diego Comic-Con. Sonic screwdriver-brandishing fans packed Hall H for a panel that featured Doctor Who‘s Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, lead writer/executive producer Steven Moffat, and executive producer Caroline Skinner. The atmosphere was as electric as panels past, with zings of oddball wit from überfan and moderator Chris Hardwick from The Nerdist.
But amongst all of the cheers and celebration, there was an inescapable feeling of sadness. After all, the upcoming season of Doctor Who will see the departure of the Doctor’s beloved companions the Ponds – played by Gillan and Darvill.
Karen and The Babes in San Diego: DW panel @ Comic-Con
I assume this is an accurate description of Steven Moffat at Comic-Con.
If you’re on Twitter, go give this a signal boost.
Setting our previous post of this ‘private’ and reblogging from the BBC America blog. Because of reasons.
Also: are you following the BBC America Tumblr yet?
Karen, Arthur, and Matt walk the carpet at the WIRED Cafe At Comic-Con
Guess “who” I saw in San Diego?
Round 2 of running across the Doctor Who cast at Comic-Con.
Or, alternate title: this time I am going to write BAD WOLF on a sign and that is as far as my thought process is going to go.
Hat-tip to my coworkers, who will hopefully never, ever see this blog, for taking extra pictures.